Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Do I Know You???

It's a Wednesday (last week), I've just exited my vehicle and am walking toward the entrance of a furniture store. Out walks a woman in her 20s. She walks past me and down to her car, and then doubles back. I am still outside the car waiting for my children to follow when this complete stranger asks me a stupid question....

"Are you pregnant?"



I could have answered this question any number of ways.....
no I'm just incredibly dense in the waist
are you an idiot?
are you calling me fat?

but I simply said yes, though many other things passed through my head. If I had known that the answer I gave would have led to what happened next, I probably would have answered with one of the above answers instead. This crazy lady, who I have never seen before, who I hope I never see again, proceeded to stretch out her hand. It was like slow motion....I knew what was about to happen, but I couldn't turn around and run away in time. This lady reaches out and rubs my belly. DO I KNOW YOU???? I was very very tempted to reach out and touch her belly (i've actually done that before when I was in a very pissy mood and someone touched me in the grocery store line). I glared, turned around and walked the other way asking myself, "what just happened?" Tell me, please, why in the world would one complete stranger feel the need to walk past and then DOUBLE BACK just to cop a feel on my bump? What was this lady thinking? Clearly shes never been pregnant or she would know that this is a practice that is UNACCEPTABLE!

If I know you, I don't really care if you touch me. Even if some people make me feel a little wierd, I can get over it. But its just not cool otherwise. not cool at all.

just thought I'd share me discontent. Exclusive Furnituure (where low prices live) almost lost my business because of this crazy customer. If she had been an employee, they definately would have. :)

3 comments:

Morgan said...

EWW! I would never do that! I am so sorry that happened to you, it would have been hilarious if you had reached out and touched her belly!

casey said...

jen you are so funny. thanks for making me laugh. :) but yeah, i think if that happens to me, i will touch thier stomache too... its only fair...

Melissa said...

I just got my tummy touched again yesterday by a second stranger. I was buying makeup and after I made my purchase, the lady asked me the same thing. She then went on about my glow, the fact that I don't have "one" long facial hair growing beneath my chin, and that I am carrying low (at which point she came out from behind the counter and touched my belly) and then concluded I must be having a boy. She even told me to go back in a year and tell her if she was right or not. I found it funny, odd, and rediculous all at the same time.