The past couple of weeks have been so dramatic that I've agreed with those that think we're crazy.
Frankly I never thought I could handle fostering. Adopting, yes. That seems like the less messy option. I didn't want to put my heart out there to be ripped out after loving a kid and seeing him/her go away. Thats definately the worst part. And I realized this when the bomb was dropped about 2 weeks ago that our boy might be leaving us. I cried my little eyes out. Then I got mad...and cried some more. I was heartbroken to even consider that as an option.
So here's my pros and cons for fostering. Maybe you have considered it, but think you aren't cut out for it. Here are some things to think about.
CONS:
-behavioral issues that come with a foster kid
-stress of dealing with the emotional issues of a foster kid
-rearranging my household to accomodate a new kid
-possible financial strain by adding a new kid
-baby momma drama :)
-heartbreak when a kiddo has to go back to their previous environment
-see the worst in your parenting come out
PROS:
-I get to obey God in caring for orphans, and rescuing those being led away to slaughter.
-Getting to see a previously violent/bullying child become a loving generous gentleman who holds doors open for girls, lets the ladies go first, and helps me off the couch when I get stuck. :)
-Getting to see a kid who at 2.5 couldn't tell you his name begin to speak in full sentences, learn all his colors and shapes, and have better manners than the 3 kids I've been raising since birth.
-Seeing an emotionally withdrawn child learn to be himself and have fun
-See a kid who was content to sit in a room alone rolling 2 cars back and forth for hours begin to use his imagination and learn to play
-Getting to hear this boy sing "Jesus Loves Me" and sing and even do motions for songs learned at VBS
- Getting to learn to love a sometimes hard to love child
- learning how to be a better parent
As I look at this list its pretty clear to me that the CONs are the trivial things. While heartbreak on my end is a serious consideration, I'm a grown up, I'll handle it, I'll move on. Isn't it worth a little bit of temproary heartbreak on my end if it means I get to show love and provide a stable home for a child who is helpless and in danger? Friends there are kids all over this very city who are living a horrible existence. There are girls being sold into prositution by their own mothers for no more than a pack of cigs. THAT is heartbreaking! There are babies and kids that are living on the street, living in cars, watching their moms turn tricks, sitting by helplessly while their parents are high...kids being molested and raped while their parents are out doing their thing.
This is happening in OUR CITY! Isn't it worth a little heartache in our lives to rescue them from this life?
Even if its for a day, a week, or a month, the church, God's people have got to decide to care for these kids, to rescue those being led away to slaughter.
1 comment:
It has been a real eye opener to see someone else in my same phase of life be able AND willing to foster! Thanks for the park day last week! He really is such a lil gentleman!
Post a Comment