Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dryer Sheet Alternative


Ok folks, I do realize that I promised this a couple weeks ago, but I just ran out of dryer sheets this week so I waited.

This could not get any easier! You'll need one small bottle of fabric softener, a large container, and some cheapo sponges.


You can make a really large batch (which after doing so, I don't recommend) or a smaller batch. It's simply 2 parts water to 1 part fabric softener. I did the whole bottle and wow it made a LOT! I think it may just last until Jesus comes back! And I easily do about 8-10 loads a week. Cut your sponges in 1/2 and let a couple soak in the solution. When you are ready to dry, grab a sponge squeeze out a little excess and toss it in the dryer with your clothes. Yes, that's it. It's really that easy. Cost for enough fabric softener to last until the end of the world: $4.

1 comment:

Mandy Adamitis said...

Again, you are so amazing! Making your own detergent is a great idea! I will have to try it soon. I see that you are going to do a piece on making your own dryer sheets and I just wanted to give you the skinny on those. Dryer sheets are one of the worst cancer causing chemicals in our homes. They smell fantastic, but are like snakes with a bite. I think they should be outlawed. I have been doing our laundry without fabric softener of any kind for years and not only is it healthier, but it also makes the clothes last longer. If you really want to make the clothes last, don't dry them at lall, let them air dry! I have a friend who has never boght new clothes for kids #2 or#3 because she did this. the only drawback is that she had to iron them to make them look nicer. I'm not that dedicated. I just skipped the Downy and threw them in the dryer.