Friday, September 08, 2006

There's That Fork Again

There it is. Do you see it? Did you notice that the sign is missing again? At first glance it's pretty darned hard to tell where they are heading. I've been enjoying the road I'm on. I've been here for a while, my shoes are broken in, it's cooling off outside, things are nice. But look, up ahead, there's a choice to be made.

I can continue straight, it looks like a nice enough path, the shade of some trees, even terrain. Or I can veer left. The unknown awaits me there. I can't quite see how that is going to work out.

That's the thing with a fork, you've got to make a choice. It is really easy for me to write off opportunities to contribute because they make me uncomfortable. I am comfy cozy right where I am. I'm not pushed too hard, only gently nudged on occasion. I am sure of my role and my surroundings. I am certain that I am capable of completing my tasks with ease. But what if God wants something more from me? Ah, what if? I am certain that he does. But can I do more going straight, or does more require a gentle turn?

Suppose God did not intend for my life of service to Him to be comfortable. Sure we are going to be a little comfortable when we are doing what we are called to. I guess I should say that living a life of contribution may not always be accompanied by "ease." Here's the deal, ministry is hard work, challenging, diffucult at times. Change is the same way. I'd hate to find myself ministering in the exact same way 5 years from now. Growth requires change, change requires me to step out of my comfort zone, sometimes into the vast unknown.

Good thing I brought along my trusty folding chair. I think I'll just sit and think for a while. I'll Who knows, maybe that sign will appear that tells me which way to go. I wish I had less reservation...I wish my "Here I am, Lord, send me" could be spoken a little stronger and with a little less fear and trembling. Here's to living an impactful life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever path you choose, I know God has great things in store for you and Bobby. I'm sorry I don't get to see you guys more - it's always such an encouragement.

By the way, for the record - I think you should have made it on American Idol. ;)

Tim Barosh said...

We haven't had a chance to talk, so I have no idea what opportunity is presenting itself. I do know this though...there was peace when we started Crossbridge, in my heart and in Mel's. There was not an ounce of "are we sure this is the right way?" God will give you peace in whatever direction you choose, don't go either way without peace in your heart. Using your analogy of the fork in the road...I actually put myself in that situation and I walk down both roads mentally. One will bring a sense of unrest (not to be confused with fear) and the other will bring peace. Choose peace (which may have fear as a side effect).