Sunday, November 19, 2006

Marvin K. Mooney


The time has come. The time has come, the time is now. Just go. Go. GO! I don't care how. You can go by boat, you can go by cow, Marvin K. Mooney will you please go now?
If you are a parent or were ever a kid, surely you are familiar with this book. If you are not, you've been missing out. This was my favorite book as a kid. My mom knew it by heart, and probably still does. I read it to Roo over the weekend and realized that I am Marvin.
God has been saying to me, "The time has come, the time is now." Maybe not all that stuff about going by lion's tail or stamping myself and going by mail, but hey, if that's what it takes.

All 5 of you probably know by now that Bobby and I will be leaving Crossbridge. That is very sad for me. I love my church. But the time has come, the time is now. God has asked us to go somewhere else. Bobby will be going on staff as the youth minister at Long Point Baptist Church. We have a great deal of work cut out for us. LP is a church in desperate need of revitalization. It is a literally physically almost dead church. But amazingly a growing number of youth. Granted there is a huge gap between 25 and 65 years of age, but that's what we'll be working on.

Our goal is not just to minister to youth, but to bridge that age gap. God has given us such a vision for the potential of the church and we are ready to jump in with both feet. There is a lot to do. The way they do ministry needs a huge change. There is not much that is done with any ounce of excellence, that has got to change. The church building itself needs a revamp. The challenge is finding able bodied people to do the work. We prefer people who can walk without assistance and people not on oxygen... that leaves about 5 people. You probably think I am exaggerating. Well maybe a teensy bit.

No lie-After Bobby preached there a few weeks ago we were going out to the car and there was a lady just chilling in her front seat. She says to Bobby, "I wasn't falling asleep during your sermon, I was just low on oxygen." She had to go to the car and hook up to a full tank. Seriously.

Needless to say, I was hesitant and flat out against it for a while. God has softened my heart and opened my eyes. He has given me an excitement and a vision for change there. After many attempts at good excuses to say no, He has shown me that my selfishness is not really a valid reason to turn down a ministry opportunity. What? really? Somehow I should have seen that coming. And my unwillingness to trust wasn't a good excuse either. oh well, I tried. and God said, "You can go by boat, you can go by cow. Jen Delgado will you please go now!?"

The time had come, so Marvin went.

3 comments:

few4th said...

I just happened upon your blog via a search for Long Point Baptist. I was wondering if this is the church in Houston on the street called Long Point? I used to go to church and went to elementary school there also.

Jen said...

Sure is!
My husband Bobby is pastoring the church now. I'm working on developing a website for the church right now (www.longpointbaptistchurch.org) so check back soon for that.

We're really trying to rebuild the church, it has done quite a bit of dwindling. So please pray for us and for the community that we are trying to reach.
Thanks!

few4th said...

Very cool. Me and my fam were down in Houston to see my parents last weekend (they live maybe a mile from the church), and I meant to come by and walk around the church to bring back some memories. Its been a few years since I've been in the building, but it's one of those places that has such a strong air of nostalgia for me. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.