Monday, March 31, 2008

Let's See Some Hustle



This Saturday, Sydney and I participated in the Husky Hustle. It's Kids K and 5K run hosted by HBU (dogs up people). Sydney really loves to run. Every afternoon when she gets home from school she's itching to hit the pavement and run a mile or two. Its great cause I have a running buddy and get to spend some special time with her doing our thing together. Last year she ran a 1K funrun, and pretty consistently runs 2 miles fairly easily these days. So we decided that we would both run the 5K. We trained for a week before the race to get her from 2 miles to 3.

So Saturday morning she was pretty sleepy and had a little bit of trouble keeping those legs moving but she stayed strong and finished in 39:24. I was really expecting it to take her at least 45 so I was pleasantly suprised at her finish time. I was just behind her a second or two...I couldn't beat her on her first race :)

There were prizes awarded to the top finishers in all the different age brackets. The official results started with a 13-19 year old division. But when they realized that she was the one and only kid younger than 13 to run the 5K, she was awarded a medal as well.

1 comment:

chona said...

I'm impressed! What a great example you're setting for you kids to be active! Great job, both of you!