Sunday, July 13, 2008

LOST, the dog PART 2

So in an unfortunate turn of events, LOST, the dog has died. It happened while we were at church today. I feel bad, and a little sad, cause I was just starting to like the little guy. I wish I could say he died a peaceful natural death, but that is not the case. I'll spare you all the details, but its sad. I'm not so much sad cause I really loved him and he was my favorite dog, but more so because of how he died. If your morbid curiosity is getting the better of you, I'll tell you the story, but not here...not now. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to have him taken care of. I really hesitate to bury him in our yard since we do have a notorious digger still living here. The last thing we need is for Nova to dig him up. And I considered taking him back to where we found him and burying him there, but I decided that it probably wouldn;t look too good to walk around the block and across the street with a shovel and a dead dog and trespass on someones farm land to bury him. Granted the land is strictly brush and corn field, but it might draw some unwanted attention.

So as a parent I really struggled with how to handle this situation. I had my brother in law come take care of him and get him in a paper bag (he;s a tiny dog) and was totally prepared to have him take the dog with him, do whatever with him and pretend that he ran away or something. I decided though that the girls are old enough to handle it. They recieved the same news earlier in the week about Bubba the cat (my childhood cat who was 21 years old). They handled it fine. So I told them that he had died, but of course not how. And surprisingly both girls wanted to see him. I did not and do not plan to let them do so. Thats a little morbid for me. I think they'd be more upset than they anticipate. In the end I guess I'm glad I was honest with them. I'd have felt even more bad if I'd lied to them.

So here's to you LOST, you were a cute fella, and a pretty good dog. Sorry it ended this way. I wish it could have been a different situation.

5 comments:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Good job being honest with the girls! It's not your fault at all, dogs are just not so smart. If you need any more disposal advice, you know where to reach me....

Bri Westbury said...

My interest is peaked...but I have a feeling I really am better off not knowing. I will just imagine Lost's ending in my mind being sudden and natural...

Anonymous said...

Honesty with your girls...that's the way to go! We made the mistake of getting rid of an adopted dog when our girls were little. They were gone, we called the pound, when the girls returned, there were many tears and resentment toward us that day!

jen said...

Apparently, it is not God's will for me to own a dog...:)...although I am sorry to hear about your LOST...:(

Erin said...

I agree with being honest, too! Death is a part of life and it's real. Evy and I have had some conversations lately about it and I am glad to be the one to teach her the TRUTH about it, y'know?