Sunday, May 08, 2011

Slow Carb and Monday Meals

In an effort to eat healthier and lose weight I have already begun to cut the carbs out of our diet, but starting tomorrow I'm moving to the Slow-Carb diet. I've got about 1 month until my trip to Italy, so I'd really like to lose the rest of this weight and this is sure to help. The Slow-Carb diet is based on eating foods with a low glycemic index. Foods with a low GI break down glucose in your body slowly, keeping your blood sugar levels constant throughout the day.

There are a few rules that we were mostly following anyway.
RULE 1 - Avoid any carbohydrate that is, or can be, white. The following foods are prohibited, except for within 30 minutes of finishing a resistance-training workout: all bread, rice (including brown), cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, and fried food with breading.

RULE 2 - Eat the same few meals over and over again. I plan to find a way to use a little creativity cause if I get bored with this I'm out. Each meal should include protein, legumes, and non-starchy veggies (no carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes)

RULE 3 - Don't drink calories. Stick to calorie free drinks, mostly water, tea or coffee....no milk. This is not a big loss for me. I don't like milk anyway.

RULE 4 - Don't eat fruit (but tomatoes and and avocados are ok). This will be the hardest for me. I eat a LOT of apples and bananas. I have read though that its just fine to eat them within a 2 hour post workout window.

RULE 5- Take one day off and eat whatever you want. That's my favorite rule of all.

So all of that being said, here's a look at the week ahead in food.

Monday- The turkey burgers and cauliflower fritters that we didn't get around to this week. I'll skip the bun.

Tuesday - Turkey Casserole featuring yellow squash, beans, and feta cheese. Also a side salad.

Wednesday - I'll eat something as a meal replacement since Bobby is working and its a church night.
Thursday - Mexican Stackup -- a family favorite --layering quinoa, beans, taco meat, lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa. It gets big and very filling....I'll miss the chips for crunch.... boo.

Friday - healthy chicken nuggets (I'll grill some for me with no breading), fruit salad for the kids and a spinach/pepppers/tomato salad for me.

Saturday - This will be our cheat day, so it's likely going to be pizza, but we'll make it at home for some quality control.

Sunday- Tuna melts and veggies.


No comments: