Saturday, August 12, 2006

It's Not Me


Well folks, I know this will disappoint some of you. I am not the next American Idol. I know, I know, it's just so shocking. Ha!

I recently braved the crowds, the crazies, and the dark and went to audition for AI. It was a set up really. I had no intention of ever trying out for the show. But someone just had to find out that there were going to be auditions in san antonio. And before I even knew about them, my wonderful husband already told a lot of people that I was going to audition. A set up I tell you. Now you normal people out there might have understood if I just laughed and never did it. Ah, but Bobby knows me too well. He enlisted Sydney. What good loving mom can break her favorite oldest daughters heart and tell her she won't go??? Syd was sooooo excited! She was just thrilled at the less than likely chance that her momma could be on her favorite show! What kind of mom would I be if I denied her that chance.

so I went. BFF in tow. The masses were out, so was the sun. People were walking around singing for anyone who would pretend that they were actually good. Not just singing, but singing as loud as humanly possible. Groups would gather along the riverwalk and sing to each other and try to out sing each other. ON THE RIVERWALK!!! C'mon people, are we serious? One interviewer was asking the cliche question, "What makes you different from other people auditioning?" I couldn't hear the responses from my hiding place where I laughed and watched it all go down, but I thought of what my answer would have been.... "I am a legal adult, and have been for some time now."

So after much waiting, I got my chance. And essentially I choked. Yes, tis true. I got a little nervous. My voice was a little shaky. And it was not my best. Oh well. I really didn't care. Didn't care to audition, didn't care to be a loser. I was surprised at my nervousness though. I sing in front of people all the time. every week, multiple times a week. I have sung in front of thousands of people, but I get nervous in front of 2? How can this be? Whatever.

Clearly I am not devastated. I cannot say the same for Sydney. "Mommy, why didn't they choose you? You sing beautiful. I can't believe that they didn't want you to be on the show! Why are you not going to be on TV?" I think she's probably over it already, but she was very sad yesterday.

Anywho. It was interesting, and VERY VERY entertaining. Oh and by the way, Batman made it to the next round...you'll see him on TV. And the guy who plays accordion.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

You are my hero. You are my American Idol. I don't care what anyone says.