I've recently come to the very clear reality that in church there may always be struggle. And that struggle will 99% of the time revolve around music. Personally I think its a stupid debate, meaningless, a waste of time.
I think that's why church planting has become so appealing to my generation. When you plant a church you can start things off the way they should be...or at least the way you want it to be. You don't have to deal with the red tape politics of existing churches or pull teeth to get the congregation to try a new song. Now, keep in mind planting churches has a whole other realm of struggles, but I think I could handle those a little easier.
The last few months has been a major test of my patience. Patience with people, patience in waiting for God to move. It has been and will continue to be an exercise in prayer. I have found in myself a great deal of irritation with the status quo. Especially when the status quo is mediocrity. Our church is in the midst of change. I can only pray that it goes quickly because it is gut wrenching, heart breaking, maddening, sometimes infuriating. I've had to keep a check on my anger, my tongue and my heart.
I have the current task of teaching people how to worship. Not how to sing songs, how to worship....which really has little to do with singing songs. It is hard for me to lead on Sundays when I have a congregation of people who come in with their minds made up that they will hate the music....even though its at least 50% "their music" every week. They are so blinded by their critical hearts that they don't even realize that we actually sing hymns. Or they are so unwilling to change that the hymns we sing don't count if they are not sung in the original key, exactly as they were written. Unfortunately for them I don't sing soprano, nor do I read music. So they get me singing in lower keys, playing piano by ear.
I am reading a new book by John Bisagno (from first Houston). Its pretty incredible. Its called Insider Information and touches on several issues in the church including worship wars, calvinism. There's even a chapter called "We Need to Vote on What?"
Its an encouragement to me to know that we are not the first church to endure these growing pains, nor will we be the last. I of course paid special attention to the chapter on worship. He outlined why hymns are important to older people, why contemporary worship is so important to young people, and why none of it matters to God. AMEN AMEN AMEN.
So for anyone out there who gripes about worship styles and songs you don't like, I juat have one thing to say to you.....are you ready???...
IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU.
:::end rant:::
1 comment:
Jen, I can't imagine being in the position to have to help choose the music for worship. I think every church these days has this struggle. Their are groups who love the hymns and the way it was always done and their are groups who want something fresher more upbeat and new. I will say I am in the group who enjoys good contemporary praise and worship. However God has taught me how to worship using the hymns, and sometimes I catch myself praising God with a hymn! How dare I go against what I prefer?!? Like you said it's not about me, it's about Him, and He can do all things including help me to worship to a "stogy old hymn" the trick is getting everyone to see that it's not about a music style it's about praising God and both hymns and contemporary music can do that. We are one body, and although I may not like the music as a music style I can get over that and hear the worship within my heart. Which has no beat or tune, just praise! I shall now step down from the shared soap box.
Post a Comment