Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Romans

I've been going through Romans in a Bible study the last few weeks. Today this verse stood out to me...
Romans 4:4-Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation.

I think far too often people in the church or people in general think that God owes them something. I've been good, God owes me. I've served the church for years, God owes me. Maybe people don't say it like that. It might sound more like "why would God let this happen to me? Haven't I always done the right thing? Haven't I served him?" I think it also comes out in the form of "I've been serving here for x amount of years, I deserve to have things my way." We see it when we try to bargain with God.

How many times have I read the verse and not noticed what its saying? When a man works his wages are an obligation...or a debt. If salvation was by works, then that would make God obligated to give us salvation for doing things in his name or for him. God is not obligated to anyone. God will not be indebted to anyone. So it forces me to examine my heart and my motives. Its good to constantly keep yourself in check. Am I serving God for what I can gain? Do I feel like God owes me something for my service? Does God owe me a happy life, a paycheck, recognition? Not at all.

My conclusion: God has done enough for me...if he never does another thing for me, he has done enough. He has done more than enough. All I have, all I am, all I have been given I am undeserving of.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Hello sweet friend. Enjoying reading your story about being a foster parent - amazing!!

Erin Cutshall and I are doing a "blog blessing" day for Ashley and baby on January 15th. Could you post a special encouraging message to her that day?

Hide a comment to me or email me at areidj@aol.com to let me know!
Thanks babe
Jeannie