Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sight for the blind

If my family lived in biblical times we'd have some problems. Most of them would surround the fact that Phil (Bobby to the rest of the world) is pretty much blind. He'd have been the guy begging for Jesus to slap some mud on his eyes. I have no idea what its like to not be able to see, I have been blessed with wonderful vision. I am now in complete awe of how smart God makes people. He gave some guy the genius to come up with lasers that can fix your sorry eyes.

Phil was scheduled for a procedure called PRK. Same results as Lasik but more like your eyes got resurfaced by a belt sander. He was dreading the pain and recovery part of the surgery, but looking forward to being able to see at least 20/60. We got him all prepped for the procedure, but then the doctor came in with GREAT news. They had acquired a new laser since he had come for his consult that would allow him to get a Lasik procedure done instead. He was previously not eligible because along with terrible sight, thin corneas were also bestowed upon him. For some reason with the new laser he could get it done.

Frankly I think its safe to say that Lasik is about like a modern day miracle. My previously blind husband can now see. His former vision was 20/800 (basically the top line of the eye chart isn't even clear). Now he is very close to being 20/20. AMAZING!!!!!

Here is a picture of the cake that Sydney made for him as a "get better eyes" cake. Very funny.

3 comments:

casey said...

very funny!!! it kinda looks like him... :)

Melissa said...

That's awesome!!! YAY, Bobby... I mean Phil... or Bobby???... J/K

What a sweet and thoughtful cake. :)

Melanie said...

This is too cute...haha!! I love the cake...hilarious!